[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 16:21:12 UTC 2007

On 10/18/07, Will Beback <will.beback.1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks often say that removing links violates NPOV.

That's an over-simplification. Folks actually say that making content
decisions based upon a subject's behavior toward the project, or upon
any other internal politics, violates NPOV.

In this case we'd be left with an article which is, so to speak,
self-referential by omission.

> But a much larger effect on POV comes when editors are harassed off
> of Wikipedia because of content-related edits or decisions.

There are more circuit hops than you've acknowledged. More like
harassment -> drama -> RFAR -> psuedo-policies -> unrevertable article
edits (lest ye be banned) -> POV problems. Over-simplified again. Not
all of these things always happen.

> We can always add the link back after THF leaves (as all editors
> eventually do) or the harassment ends.

Good lord. I hope you meant to say "and" rather than "or".

—C.W.