[WikiEN-l] Tool announcement: Alternative names redirect

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 14:00:13 UTC 2007

On 10/18/07, Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Someone raised the possibility of a bot that would go through a
> category (of biographies), read all articles, find '''bold''' parts,
> check if these exist as a page, and create a redirect if not.
>
> IMHO that should be a semi-automated process, not a fully automated
> one (creating redirects, that is). So, here's the tool:
>
> http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/name_redirects.php

I have some javascript that will make the bold-faced strings (ones
which differ from the page title) into clickable links which open an
edit window for that title, insert a redirect back to the article
title, and autoclick the save button.

> Category suggestion : "XXXX deaths" :-)
>
> Have fun redirecting,
> Magnus

Of course. Redirects (and merges) are cheap, fun, and a great way
to... well, don't mind me... :S

—C.W.