[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Oct 17 19:16:33 UTC 2007

Will Beback wrote:
> David Gerard wrote:
>
>> On 17/10/2007, Will Beback <will.beback.1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  don't see any comment from you about links outside of article space,
>>> so I'm not sure if you are in favor removing those. On the whole, it
>>> does appear that you are saying to Wikipedia editors that they must deal
>>> with harassment either by growing a thicker skin or by leaving the
>>> project. Is that correct?
>>>

>> Not all, but certainly those whose skin is so very sensitive that they
>> insist that removing michaelmoore.com from [[Michael Moore]] as an
>> "attack site" is a necessary move.
>>
>> You keep trying to reduce this to binary choices. Doing so has already
>> led to blithering idiocy (e.g. on your part with removing the Making
>> Light links). Perhaps you need to stop trying to reduce it to binary
>> choices.
>>
> Let's not engage in uncivil language with each other while we're
> discussing harassment.

Would it be uncivil if he were striving to ensure that Will Beback Won't
Beback? ;-)
> I find that many folks in this debate already engage in binary choices:
> caling all attempt at solving this issue as "BADSITES". I asked you what
> you though we should do about it and your answer appears to boil down to
> "nothing". So one way of splitting the issue is those who want to do
> something and those who want to do nothing. If there's something that
> you think we can do so far as creating a policy, guideline or procedure
> then please share it with us.
Doing something and doing nothing seems like a meaningful binary.  If
the wide trend is to do nothing then nothing further needs be done, and
peace shall reign in Wikiland.  However, if those whose views are
contrary to that trend persist in doing something, they should not find
solace in the belief that silence is consent.  Maybe the silent majority
is just exhausted from the harassment of a harassment policy.

Ec