[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Wed Oct 17 12:42:45 UTC 2007

On 16 Oct 2007 at 23:55:24 -0700, Will Beback
<will.beback.1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Moore is notable as a filmmaker. He is not notable as a blogger. His
> blog is not encyclopedic. We are only providing a link as a convenience,
> and a very minor convenience because it it the first link that comes up
> on Google. So we are saving our readers about .5 seconds out of their
> lives. We aren't preserving NPOV, we aren't taking a stand against
> censorship, we're merely saving some readers a tiny bit of time. I don't
> begrudge anyone even half a second. But if the tradeoff we're looking at
> is linking to harassment of Wikipedia editors versus the slightest
> inconvenience (hopefully temporary) of our readers, then I don't think
> we should have a question. For completenes inthe article we can say the
> guy has a blog (who doesn't), but unless the blog is notable I don't see
> the overriding need to promote "convenience" above "no personal attacks".

Thus, the "tradeoff" is between a very minor convenience to people
trying to get to the link... versus a very minor interference in the
spread of harrassment that's already out there and well-indexed in
Google.  So we're all getting into a big lather over something that
barely actually matters, one way or another... apparently, we're all
motivated by the principle of the thing.

--
== Dan ==