[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

John Lee johnleemk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 07:17:01 UTC 2007

On 10/17/07, Will Beback <will.beback.1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Moore is notable as a filmmaker. He is not notable as a blogger. His
> blog is not encyclopedic. We are only providing a link as a convenience,
> and a very minor convenience because it it the first link that comes up
> on Google. So we are saving our readers about .5 seconds out of their
> lives. We aren't preserving NPOV, we aren't taking a stand against
> censorship, we're merely saving some readers a tiny bit of time. I don't
> begrudge anyone even half a second. But if the tradeoff we're looking at
> is linking to harassment of Wikipedia editors versus the slightest
> inconvenience (hopefully temporary) of our readers, then I don't think
> we should have a question. For completenes inthe article we can say the
> guy has a blog (who doesn't), but unless the blog is notable I don't see
> the overriding need to promote "convenience" above "no personal attacks".

It's an official website, not merely a blog. And even then, I'm pretty sure
we frequently link to the official blogs of prominent people. The question
is, why are we making an exception for Michael Moore? Is it motivated
because of some editorial reason (i.e. including the link reduces the
usefulness and value of the article), or because we're Wikipedia and we
don't like how Moore treated one of our editors? If the latter, it's a
pretty clearcut NPOV violation.

Johnleemk