[WikiEN-l] Is NPOV non-negotiable? (and if so, why are debating it?)

fredbaud at waterwiki.info fredbaud at waterwiki.info
Wed Oct 17 00:10:28 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Ray Saintonge [mailto:saintonge at telus.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 02:46 PM
To: 'English Wikipedia'
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Is NPOV non-negotiable? (and if so, why are debating     it?)

fredbaud at waterwiki.info wrote:
> First thing, we don't have a BADSITES policy. That policy was debated and rejected. I did not support it.
Indeed, but we do have some of its supporters carrying on as though it
were a done deal
> On the other hand, neutral point of view is a fundamental policy which is not open for debate.
I would say "principle" rather than "policy".  One thing about
principles is that they can be terribly difficult to pin down, and
converting them to policy becomes a kind of adulteration.  Nevertheless,
they still override everything.

Ec

Actually, the underlying principle is to present a full picture of the subject, not a limited one from a particular perspective. This is often impossible in practice, especially in the case of persons, due to the lack of published material presenting complete information, but it is certainly the goal.

Fred