[WikiEN-l] Arbcom

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 16 16:37:25 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> Wow, am I ever going to vote against everyone on ArbCom next time
>> around.  Why do people run for it if they won't do the work?
>
> They do the work for bit, it's just the term length is too long. You
> can't expect people to devote the time required to be a good
> arbitrator for 3 years.

This is the main reason I've never seriously considered running myself.
I've been with the project since 2001, and I've taken on many
large-scale long-term editing projects, but there's always been the
option of simply stopping what I'm doing when it becomes too tedious and
doing something else instead. If I've made a definite commitment like
running for ArbCom, on the other hand, I'd feel terrible if I dropped
out partway through. And three years is rather a long time to feel
terrible for.