[WikiEN-l] Message formatting

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Tue Oct 16 01:34:16 UTC 2007

On 15 Oct 2007 at 12:50:37 -0500, "Charlotte Webb"
<charlottethewebb at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/14/07, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:
> > Lately, a lot of people have been posting messages here that are
> > malformatted, with long lines stretching out indefinitely.  You can
> > see this when you look at the web archive, where you sometimes have
> > to scroll a mile to the right to see all of the message.  This is
> > contrary to the standards of RFC 2822, which recommend that there be
> > a hard break after lines of no more than 79 characters.
>
> This is probably something in their mail client that they have no idea
> how to control. I know I don't. Maybe you count letters and add
> linebreaks but I think most of us just type a bunch of run-on
> sentences which wrap themselves without any difficulty.

A part of my original message that you snipped was a link to a
section of my site that gives information on how to configure various
mail programs to follow the standards better.

http://mailformat.dan.info/config/

I also have a tool for checking the format of a message to see how
well it follows the standards:

http://mailformat.dan.info/tools/check.html

--
== Dan ==