[WikiEN-l] Message formatting

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 18:25:15 UTC 2007

On 14/10/2007, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:
> Lately, a lot of people have been posting messages here that are
> malformatted, with long lines stretching out indefinitely.  You can
> see this when you look at the web archive, where you sometimes have
> to scroll a mile to the right to see all of the message.  This is
> contrary to the standards of RFC 2822, which recommend that there be
> a hard break after lines of no more than 79 characters.

That RFC is extremely outdated. There is no need for manual linebreaks
these days - we have much wider monitors and functioning word wrap.
The web archive just need to have "style="white-space: pre-wrap;""
added to the pre tag (it's CSS 2.1, so I'm not sure how many browsers
support it - might need to use a few browser-specific methods).