[WikiEN-l] Arbcom

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sun Oct 14 13:59:26 UTC 2007

"Thomas Dalton" wrote

> > >All the information ArbCom would need to judge if an
> > > appeal is warranted should already be there. Judging an appeal of a
> > > community ban is much harder, since the information is often much
> > > harder to find.
> >
> > I question both these points.
>
> Question whatever you like. If you're not going to supply a counter
> argument, there's not a lot I can do...

I think the large numerical majority of community bans appealed to the ArbCom are upheld on the simple grounds that the editor wasn't convincing anyone as a good editor before the ban. Now it is certainly the remainder of cases that actually count. It is not that hard to assess whether an indefinite ban is warranted, rather than something of the order of a month, from block logs of an otherwise decent editor, and asking the blocking admin for the story.

Charles