[WikiEN-l] Arbcom

Thatcher131 Wikipedia thatcher131 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 13:11:09 UTC 2007

On 10/13/07, fredbaud at waterwiki.info <fredbaud at waterwiki.info> wrote:

> Actually, we are having some serious trouble. I'm thoroughly burned out.
> Additionally we have deadlocks on a couple of cases.
>
> In fact, the situation is so bad, that I think we should consider
> alternatives to our current procedures. Is there some other way we could
> resolved the issues which come to arbitration, perhaps by committees of
> administrators?
>
> Fred

If indeed ArbCom has lost the trust or respect of some members of the
community, I doubt that ad hoc committees of admins will suddenly be
accorded the necessary level of respect and trust.

The Arbitrators might wish to remember that Arbitration is not a court, and
that unlike a court, it is not obligated to reach a decision.  In the case
of "Allegations of Apartheid" for example, the Committee could issue a
statement to the effect that the Committee recognizes the community's
concern that the other Allegations articles were created and defended to
make a point, but that it is divided on whether any remedy is needed, and
remands the issue to the community for discussion.

I don't think is constitutes failure to acknowledge that the Comittee is as
divided as the general community on some issues; in those cases the
Committee should confine its role to slapping down editors whose behavior is
so outrageous that it interferes with the community's ability to calmly
discuss the issue.

Thatcher