[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

K P kpbotany at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 09:31:49 UTC 2007

On 10/14/07, Will Beback <will.beback.1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> David Gerard wrote:
> > This would still see michaelmoore.com removed from [[Michael Moore]],
> > so fails the giggle test.
> >

> The purpose of Wikipedia is to create articles full of content, not full
> of external links. I'd argue that the article on Michael Moore does not
> require a link to his website, nor does any article require having any
> external link. External links are a convenience to readers, but aren't
> part of the goal of the encyclopedia.
> W.

What's the point of discussing the website on Wikipedia if it doesn't
include something as fundamental to the article as its web address?
It's like discussing a book in an article, but not mentioning the
book's title anywhere, or maybe publisher.  When we make rules that
have to be interpreted in silly ways, it leads to problems, imo, and
saying that we can discuss someone in Wikipedia, but not give their
web address on our web based encyclopedia is going to look silly in
the long run.

Useful, well-written, and accurate articles are a goal of the
encyclopedia, I hope, and this includes information such as web
addresses.

KP