[WikiEN-l] Links for Deletion?

Texas Guy alvin_meeks at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 14:34:03 UTC 2007

Hi,

Without getting into the whole issue of attack sites,
I want to put in a request not to encumber link
removal.

I don't know the current statistics, but earlier this
year, we had just over 3 million external links
(including references). I estimate at least 1 million
were inappropriate -- the majority added in good faith
but with poor judgement by editors unaware of what
[[WP:RS]] and [[WP:EL]] say. There were also hundreds
of thousands of hard-core spam links.

My estimates are based on making 1000s of link
deletions and probably reviewing even more 1000s in
connection with WikiProject Spam.

If you look at this page of link additions made within
just 24 hours in January, you'll see the volume of
links we receive daily:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Veinor/Link_count/January_18,_2007

It's unclear whether we're presently slowly losing
ground to spam or slowly gaining ground (the nofollow
decision helped some). Whichever it is, I'd hate to
suddenly start tilting the playing field in the wrong
direction.

User:A. B.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:A._B.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:A._B.