[WikiEN-l] Could we use a chore wheel?

Thatcher131 Wikipedia thatcher131 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 20:03:29 UTC 2007

On 10/12/07, William Pietri <william at scissor.com> wrote:

> We've got a lot of cleanup work around here. The people who end up doing
> it often burn out because they do too much. And from the outside, some
> of the cleanup areas seem to get taken over by people with much more
> ardent views than the mainstream, causing a lot of friction. This
> reminds me of several of the shared houses I've lived in. Could we use
> the same solution, a chore wheel?

I don't think you could assign jobs to people, but some kind of
voluntary javascript job jar might be interesting.  Say I'm bored and
feel like taking on a small cleanup task.  Give me page where I can
click on a button and get a randomly selected chore or backlog to do.
(Maybe two buttons, for general and admin-restricted chores.)  I'm
sure there are hundreds of odd backlogs that almost no one knows about
(like the subcategories in Images for cleanup, say) and a random
generator might be an interesting way of learning about and tackling a
few.