[WikiEN-l] Is Slate an attack site?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Oct 11 19:47:43 UTC 2007

fredbaud at waterwiki.info wrote:
> [...]
The inability of internet readers to recognize ironic writing
contributes to this kind of conspiracy theorizing.  Focussing on one
paragraph out of context from a much larger article seems to be a
favourite tactic.  Suggesting that someone is revealed as an MI-5 agent
stretches plausibility, and impugns the credibility of the person who is
cited as having made that claim.

Sure people edit Wikipedia to further the interests of a particular
group, and many of them understand that being blatant about it will be
counter-productive.  Still, what is said in those instances remains more
important than who said it, and verification still attaches to the
content rather than the editor.

Taking ironic or symbolic writing as literal truth yields silly
results.  Wasn't that the whole point of the Scopes trial?  Suggesting
that we need to take steps to protect ourselves or our editors from such
activity requires as a precondition that we be able to distinguish
between literal and ironic writing
. Failing in that task leaves us paranoid about imagined conspiracies
trying to undermine Wikipedia.

Ec