[WikiEN-l] The Statistical Decline of the English Wikipedia Community

Sheldon Rampton sheldon at prwatch.org
Wed Oct 10 19:19:58 UTC 2007

On Oct 10, 2007, at 11:45 AM, Robert Rohde wrote:

> Given Wikipedia's long history of nearly exponential growth, any
> decline in
> our editing rate is surprising, but I also find the sharpness of the
> turn-around to be remarkable.  Though it may merely be coincidence,
> the
> timing of the change is near the breaking of the Essjay story in
> the news.

It's not clear what this trend means, but I'm personally skeptical
that the Essjay story had much impact.

Of course, Wikipedia's overall growth in terms of readership (not
editing) seemed more or less plateaued during the first half of 2007
(although the last 2-3 months have seen growth again):

http://alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=wikipedia.org

Of course, hitting a plateau as one of the top ten most popular
websites in existence is pretty good. If indeed Wikipedia's growth is
leveling off, that was bound to happen at some point. One of the
certainties about exponential growth of any kind is that sooner or
later it comes up against some limiting factor.

If there is a decline in editing, it could result from the leveling
off of readership. Maybe there's an attrition factor, with new
editors who edit enthusiastically for awhile and then lose interest.
In the past, attrition might have been masked by the larger trend of
user growth, but now things are settling into an long-term
equilibrium where the ratio of users to editors is higher than
appeared to be the case during the exponential growth phase.

Another possibility is that Wikipedia participation is moving away
from the English Wikipedia and into other languages. Does Robert's
analysis allow for this possibility?

Another possibility is that Wikipedia has somehow become less
hospitable to editing. Maybe it is more bureaucratic. (Or maybe it
has gotten better at nipping vandals and spammers in the bud.)

Yet another possibility is that Wikipedia has ceased to be a novelty.
Instead of being a cool new idea that everyone is trying out, it's
becoming yesterday's fashion, and people in general are less excited
about editing.

These are all speculative hypotheses, of course. I'm sure other
people can offer theories of their own.