[WikiEN-l] Templates for the masses

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 17:26:28 UTC 2007

On 10/8/07, quiddity <blanketfort at gmail.com> wrote:
> As for the look of them, see a comparison screenshot of before/after:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wikipedia_-_comparison_of_template_standardisation.png
> I personally dislike the cartoonish icons and their large size.
> However, I think the intuitive colouring and consistent design of the
> boxes is a vast improvement.

I, for one, miss being able to easily tell them apart at a quick
glance. It wasn't until this "vast improvement" that I realized how
much I actually relied more on the color scheme and the icon, rather
than the text itself (which, on many of the templates, has been
rephrased so many times I would have difficulty recognizing it
anyway).

So now I find myself just clicking on the "edit" link and then looking
at the list of "pages transcluded onto the current version of this
page" (down at the bottom) while I'm editing something so I don't
forget anything that might need to be dealt with.

—C.W.