[WikiEN-l] Potential Cincinnati emergency

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 22:15:28 UTC 2007

On 08/10/2007, Michael Noda <michael.noda at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/8/07, John Lee <johnleemk at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > me
> > >

> > > Send it to the office, the staff are in right now.
> >

> > That's true...part of the problem with being a global project is that not
> > all of us are aware that there's an office or that the WMF even exists - and
> > if we are, we may not be aware where it is or what time zone it is in, or
> > what its office hours are.
> >
> > I'm a bit surprised there was no response to this on IRC - has there been
> > any yet?
>
> #wikipedia-en collectively shrugged its shoulders when I tried to get
> more information, as has ANI. I'd like to contact the authorities
> myself, but I'm not an admin, and the critical information has
> reportedly been oversighted (!) already.  I can't get a straight
> answer as to whether the police have been contacted yet

#wikipedia seems fairly clear that the police have been contacted.
(stripping out excess material):

<Eliz81> ok, called second local police department
<Eliz81> this time they just said "we'll take care of it" when i told
them the IP address
<Eliz81> the first one, i called the ISP, and he told me exactly what
to tell the police, who turned around and called the ISP
<Eliz81> so i knew the police were in touch with who they needed to be
<Eliz81> geniice: you should've heard the first department though!
when i was giving the IP, "WHAT?? That's not an address!"
<Eliz81> geniice: "I've never heard of anything like this in my life.
hang on a second." ... well, welcome to the world of internet, lady!
<geniice> Eliz81 I haven't seen the notes wasn't a phone number given?
<Eliz81> geniice for one, not the other, which didn't match the IP
location, but nice, internet-competent second officer said he'd take
care of it so i didn't need to contact the authorities again in
regards to the number

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk