[WikiEN-l] oopsie-- mainstream journalists trust Wikipedia again

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Oct 7 21:03:30 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell wrote:
>> On 07/10/2007, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 07/10/2007, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> It is not an acceptable policy for a rational community.
>>>
> on 10/7/07 11:04 AM, Thomas Dalton at thomas.dalton at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Then the community isn't rational - that doesn't really surprise me.
>>
> Wikipedia is an emotional community - not a rational one. Whether this is
> acceptable is up to the Community itself.
There's a very important dynamic to be balanced between the emotional
and the rational.  That part of the community which is rooted in
computer technology tends too much toward the rational side of the
equation.  I was reading the "Artificial Intelligence" entry in the
Geek's Glossary that is appended to the October issue of "Wired" where
they remark that robots still fail in a lot of tasks which are
relatively obvious for humans.  Seeing what needs to be done when you
have a sink full of dishes is not a task that a robot easily
recognizes.  They have a great deal of difficulty with the ambiguities
of life, with puns and with cultural allusions.  Even chess-playing
computers depend on brute force analysis which they can do better than
any human.

We need the rational to keep the train on the track, but we also need
the emotional to look at opportunities for new tracks.  The effects are
often subtle.  Our massive use of templates gives the impression of
order, but it also reduces options.  A person with a more intuitive
approach who wants to suggest alternatives that might very well be
improvements needs to be ready to work his way through a cloud of
virtual insect repellent.  Getting through to the egg needs pretty tough
sperm.

Ec