[WikiEN-l] oopsie-- mainstream journalists trust Wikipedia again

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 6 01:57:16 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> Perfection is an unattainable goal. That doesn't mean we shouldn't
> strive for it, but we do need to be realistic. No article is ever
> going to be 100% neutral, it's impossible.

What I'm objecting to is the implication that we shouldn't actually be
aiming for it, though. "Biographies should ideally be neutral but on the
road to that ideal we should be extra careful about including the
negative content" is fine, it accepts the real-world problems involved
with litigious subjects without compromising the ultimate goal. But
"biographies should tend to be sympathetic" isn't fine because it sets
an incorrect goal. Biographies of living persons may tend to be
sympathetic due to systemic bias but it's not because they _should_ be.

I'm being nitpicky, perhaps, but this is one of our most important
policies so I'd rather err on the sensitive side.