[WikiEN-l] oopsie-- mainstream journalists trust Wikipedia again

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Oct 4 19:58:33 UTC 2007

Steve Summit wrote:
> Spotted by Lars Eighner on alt.usage.english:
>
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/03/wikipedia_obituary_cut_and_paste/>

> from his Wikipedia article.)
I have replied to them with the following:

I write as a person who has participated in Wikipedia for more than five
years.

I'm glad that the article points the finger in the right place:
journalists who don't check their sources.  Wikipedians themselves tell
school kids to seek independent support for what they use from
Wikipedia.  Teachers who dwell upon Wikipedia's inaccuracies, often to
the extent of blocking its use entirely, miss an opportunity for
teaching kids to question anything that they read from whatever source.
That will be an absolutely vital lesson for children growing up in a
time when access to information is unbridled, and the most convincing
presentations are often from people with a vested interest.

Journalists should have learned better a long time ago.  Wikipedia would
be very happy if those journalists notified Wikipedia to say that some
detail is mistaken; someone would investigate and most often the problem
would soon be solved.  Instead they whine that Wikipedia is wrong,
rather than accepting their own responsibility in the matter.
Wikipedia's capacity for self-correction probably results in its being
more often correct than many, many other sources, either printed or
online.  Those who view this as changing history also need to remember
that an archive of those changes remains fully available.  If newspapers
publicly retract an error it cannot happen in the same issue as the
error; it will likely appear a few days later.  Some years later, a
historian will look at the original article, and use it, completely
oblivious of the retraction.  A readily linked archive of changes and
retractions reflects a much higher level of accountability.

Errors on Wikipedia will continue to arise with great regularity, and,
regrettably, many will not be found until there is another incident like
the present one.  Unfortunately such an incident tends to magnify
inaccuracies out of proportion to their frequency.  They take on the
inevitable nature of Cúchulainn being served a meal of dog-meat.

Someone in the  responses to the article quite fairly cited "It's
clearly not true, but it's now been in several reliable and verifiable
sources, and under Wikipedia rules it makes no difference whether it's
true or not" from the article's talk page.  It's Wikipedia's paradox.
Without it the inaccuracies would be much worse, and Wikipedia would be
full of bizarre physics and urban legends.  It seems that some
Wikipedian brains have the same gear shift as some journalist brains.  A
good driver will know that his vehicle comes specially equipped with
gear positions for mountainous terrain.  A poor driver will just damage
his own vehicle.  Rules do that to us.  Daleks and Vogons are very
certain of their mission in life; doubt is inimical to belief, even when
that belief is blatantly stupid.  Reliable and verifiable sources become
virtual teddy-bears that we can hug when we want to go to sleep; they
will protect us from the ghosts of doubt.