[WikiEN-l] Too announcement : WatchFlickr

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 06:46:34 UTC 2007

On 10/1/07, Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:

> In response about the discussion on wikien-l about fair use and
> placeholder images for biographies (and other things?) I have written
> a new tool, WatchFlickr.

WOW! That is genius. I just gave it the French department of Finistere, and
it came up with some really good photos. I would love to see tools like this
integrated better into Wikipedia, so that everyone can know about and use
them.

Given a category (at selectable depth), it retrieves all articles in
> that category, checks if it lacks an image, and if so, searches Flickr

An option to include pages that already have one or more images would be good.

for relevant CC-BY and CC-BY-SA images. It shows found flickr
> thumbnails, links to the wikipedia and flickr page, and to
> Flominator's Flinfo tool.
>
> Not that due toolserver problems, several wikipedias, notably en, are
> not available to search right now. German wikipedia works, though, in
> case you want to test.

In what way doesn't the en "work"? Is it just running off an old dump?
Or when I search "en" is it actually searching "de"?

Steve