[WikiEN-l] London calling, etc.

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 03:46:44 UTC 2007

Riana wrote:
> On 02/10/2007, Steven Walling <steven.walling at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Okay, maybe I just need more coffee, but can someone explain to me why in
>> god's name an indef block is the desired response to a suicide note
>> on-wiki?
>>

> Block and lock is a thoroughly appropriate reaction, IMO. At times I feel we
> really need to start thinking more like the Top 10 website that we are.
> MySpace etc generally removes these things (pages, accounts) once they have
> been dealt with by the appropriate people, if I'm not mistaken?

Absolutely. Remember, blocks are for -prevention of disruption-, not
some type of penalty. In this case, if the individual is genuinely
suicidal, they need the intervention of trained professionals, not some
well-meaning but untrained person who happens to be around when they
throw around the suicide threats.