[WikiEN-l] Banality threshold

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 1 14:53:19 UTC 2007

"Charlotte Webb" wrote

> If
> anybody can potentially be "noted"[2], then "notability" is more or
> less a meaningless term.
> [2] And believe me, anybody can potentially be "noted".

Yup. That's why "notability" has never quite made it to a place above the salt in Wikipedia policies. And why putting it prominently in the shop window, as a criterion for speedy deletion, is asking for trouble. Where there is a basic guideline, for example for bands, it's kind of OK as a placeholder. Otherwise, not.

Charles