[WikiEN-l] Indefinite ban problem

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 11:08:46 UTC 2007

On 30/09/2007, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:
> People want examples of how "none of the thousand or so admins wants
> to unblock them" doesn't adequately describe the "community" ban
> process?  How about this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard/I
> ncidents/Blu_Aardvark_and_Mistress_Selina_Kyle
>
> Synopsis:  Linuxbeak unblocks Blu Aardvark and Mistress Selina Kyle.
> A whole page of drama-queen histrionics and hissy-fits erupts, with
> some prominent admins loudly storming away from Wikipedia in a huff
> (they were soon back), and people demanding that Linuxbeak apologize,
> admit to a grave error of judgment, and possibly be desysopped or
> debureaucratted.  The fact that Jimbo apparently supported
> Linuxbeak's action was dismissed as irrelevant.  Anybody who in any
> way supports the unblocking of these individuals is deemed a
> supporter of stalking, harrassing, anti-semitism, and other rotten
> stuff.  They're quickly reblocked.

Sounds like you're describing a wheel war. ArbCom is the way to go.
The reblocking admins would be at least cautioned, and I doubt
anything would happen to Linuxbeak. ArbCom would then decide once and
forall whether or not to block.

(Disclaimer: This reply is based purely on the parent email, I am not
familiar with the incident in question.)