[WikiEN-l] Balance of sanction [Was: Arbiter involvement on the Durova affair]

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Fri Nov 30 19:09:56 UTC 2007

I think there more to add to the 2 million words already posited on this
topic.  To wit:

> Earlier: "... how the community treats
> its members as opposed to [how the
> community treats] outsiders..."

Peter Blaise responds: I don't think there ARE any outsiders, actually,
just those who haven't used (or been used by) Wikipedia in any way, and
those who have (or will).  Unless you mean spammers, vandals and
off-topic posters as the "outsiders"?

> "... punished ..."

Peter Blaise responds: The concept of "punishment" is absurd, and should
never be a part of any community.  Anyone who has committed a crime
against the community does three things to remedy their actions, or we
arrest / banish them until they do:

1 - stop

2 - fix

3 - prevent

... and those are things the "transgressor" does, not things the
"punisher" does!  "Punishment" only makes those who are saddled with the
responsibility of punishing others into mean and base people, trains the
offender to further disconnect, only more surreptitiously, and wastes
everyone's time.

> Earlier: ... if two people transgress equally ..."

Peter Blaise responds: ... an impossibility.  Take each case on it's own
merits.

Perhaps someone could summarize, condense, and release a "Reader's
Digest" version of this thread and the supporting documentation ...
hahahahah!