[WikiEN-l] Missed Opportunities to have avoided the Durova Case

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Nov 29 16:37:20 UTC 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 11:14 AM, jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The facts of the situation are that on November 3 Durova sent a
> "lesson in spotting returning editors" to the cyberstalking list,
> where, according to all reports, it received little attention and even
> less response. *Fifteen days later* Durova blocked !!, and 72 minutes
> after that unblocked !!.

When was the email originally made public, in what forum, and under
what pretense?  I don't expect you to answer this, but maybe someone
else can fill me in or that missing link?

> Since then there has been an ever increasing
> tide of hysteria surrounding this 72 minute block, with multiple AN,
> wikien-l, and other threads, an RFC, posting of private e-mails,
> OFFICE removals of same, leaking of membership lists, and now an
> ArbCom case which appears to be rapidly reaching a conclusion.

A lot of what you call "hysteria" doesn't seem to be over the block so
much as the mailing lists themsevles.  The block is apparently what
brought the email to light, and the email is what brought to light the
mailing lists, which most of us knew nothing about until the email was
made public.

> Durova
> has already voluntarily given up her adminship status, something I do
> not believe the ArbCom would have removed from her.

I certainly hope they would have.  The email showed a lack of ability
to engage in the type of logical reasoning necessary to be a good
admin, and from what I've seen her response so far has been equally
lacking.

> While some may
> still think there is value in insisting that witnesses should be
> subpoenaed here to name names, I think it's time to call this House
> Committee on Un-Wikipedian Activities to a close.

I find it humorous how much hypocrisy there is in this whole incident.
 Telling people to assume good faith in response to an enormous
assumption of bad faith; comparing the demand for answers about a
group of investigators trying to uncover anyone who is now or ever has
associated themselves with Wikipedia Review to McCarthyism...