[WikiEN-l] Missed Opportunities to have avoided the Durova Case

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 28 08:00:58 UTC 2007

jayjg wrote:
> So now, in addition to the two aforementioned lists, there's some
> other set of people "colluding" privately off-wiki to take action
> based on e-mails to the lists?

I don't know whether "collusion" was a bad word choice or not, but I was
only referring to the private mailing lists that Durova mentioned
sending her evidence regarding !! and the supportive response she said
she got.

Personally, if it had only reached this point and gone no farther, I
don't see a big problem. Private communication among Wikipedia users is
allowed, supported by functions built right into MediaWiki, and couldn't
be controlled in any event. Nobody would have known or cared. The
problem came when the private discussion was used to support direct
public actions while still being kept strictly private. If someone says
"I have evidence this is a sock puppet of a disruptive user," I want to
know what that evidence is before anything remotely like a ban is
considered. If they say "a bunch of other editors support me on this," I
want to know who they are or it's just meaningless noise.

As far as I'm aware Durova's email containing the evidence that was used
as the basis for blocking !! is still thoroughly oversighted and
expunged from Wikipedia. It's silly that I actually had to go to
Wikitruth to find a copy of it.