[WikiEN-l] Missed Opportunities to have avoided the Durova Case

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 23:30:47 UTC 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 2:54 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27/11/2007, jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> people
> might
> GASP!
> > > >

> > > That is up to them to say. Not you to say on their behalf.
> >
> > Nonsense; when someone says "either A is lying or B is lying" it is
> > *incumbent* on others to say "or perhaps one or the other is
> > mistaken."
> >

> When someone says that A and B's statements contradict each other.
> That is a matter for A and B to provide an explanation for. Further
> speculation is pointless.
>

> > Nonsense again; not reading an e-mail is not a "moral failing" in any
> > meaningful sense of the term.
>
> Yeah the Enron non executive directors tried that argument. Legally
> correct but as I said it depends on your moral system.
>
> > On the other hand, insisting that we
> > must assume people are lying, rather than  perhaps being in error or
> > mistaken, could well be seen as a moral failure.
>
> We don't need any more hypotheticals.
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard/Incidents&diff=next&oldid=172308730
> >
> > Oh, so you think the AN/I process is broken, and that's what RR was
> > referring to?
>
> Read the comment. Consider the timing. It suggests a process no? Since
> we are getting into a who knew what when game it also places a hard
> limit on how far people can claim plausible deniability.
>
> --
> geni

This is getting into a corner where AGF has failed.  That seems a remarkably
bad thing to do.

Geni, I respect you and the others who are concerned about this.  But there
is a big difference between asking about inconsistencies to try and get to
the underlying truth, and assuming bad faith about people who have clearly
established in the past that they were among the best and brightest and most
dedicated on the project.

This project cannot continue to operate on an effective zero-tolerance for
admin screwup basis.  The people who are holding it all together (all of us)
are human, make mistakes, and will eventually make whoppers.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com