[WikiEN-l] Breaking this up for size: 3

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 18:32:35 UTC 2007

> That's easy to blame after the fact when no clear standards existed.

Durova-- I know this mailing list has gotten heated, but please
believe me when I say it really isn't about blame.  Honestly, from the
bottom of my heart, it's not.  I think you were a great admin.  To my
knowledge, I only encountered you in on-wiki disputes twice, and in
both cases, you were completely in the right.  Even though we
disagreed with on philosophical issues, you were always civil, and you
were on the shortlist of candidates I was going to vote for you for
arbcom.    Assuming we get some clarity about what sort of secret
list/secret evidence behavior is appropriate, I very possibly will
find myself being an ardent supporter of yours come RFA time-- I know
you probably think I'm being insincere when I say that, but stranger
things have happened.  Unflagging civility despite any circumstances
makes a big dang impression on me.

It's not about blame-- it's about oversight.   The community ruled
very strongly that your judgment needed some oversight and some
feedback, and even though it looks advesarial, hopefully we're
providing that.

It just seems to me that anyone else who came to similar conclusions
should be subject to the same oversight-- doesn't it?
Alec
******
Alec, until eight days ago that oversight was not a community concern.
I believed it should be, because I wanted clear parameters that I could
comply with, but I just couldn't generate enough interest in the subject to
establish them.

Think of how many news stories the WikiScanner started.  This site does
a good job of reverting basic vandalism and managing CSD.  What it doesn't
do nearly so well is address the kind of sustained abuse that comes from
profit motive or ideological manipulation.  I saw that it was an undermanned
area and stepped in, basically because I had developed skills from dealing
with a couple of long term vandals at the first article I ever edited.

Investigations needs to be a higher priority generally.  If there's a good
ending to be had from eight days of drama, I hope that's it.  Please direct
your energies to WP:COIN or WP:SSP.  Those boards need help.

-Durova