[WikiEN-l] Time to reboot wikien-l

joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu
Thu Nov 22 00:48:25 UTC 2007

Quoting jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com>:

> [...]
> public than they really are. Believe me, the press (and certainly
> academia) aren't going to start thinking our articles are well-written
> or trustworthy based on whether or not we link to some conspiracy
> theorist's blog. Really.

>> similar to the
>> some extent
>> >
>> > In your view I'm sure that it's "very similar to the BADSITES
>> > language". How do the proponents view it, though? How do outside
>> > observers view it? Is it close to BADSITES, or close to LOVELINKS, or
>> > somewhere in between? There's no question that Wikipedia needs to find
>> > an effective way of dealing with harassment of its volunteers; as long
>> > as Wikipedia is a top 10 website, and remains "The encyclopedia
>> > anybody can edit", this will remain a problem.
>>
>> I have an idea. Why don't you look at what Mongo et al. said on the
>> talk page
>> and then see if you can point to any way that anyone would think it
>> was at all
>> different.
>
> MONGO again. Lesse, he posts to the talk page, and within five hours
> Dtobias shows up crying BADSITES! That pretty much shuts down rational
> discussion. Oh, and Dan provides yet another link to his essay "Why
> BADSITES is bad policy".  Some more back and forth, and then WR
> regular Viridae opens an ArbCom case about MONGO in an attempt to shut
> down dissent, err, sorry, I mean discuss perceived behavioral issues.

>> to me that
>> >
>> > I'd rather let them speak for themselves, rather than have their
>> > opponents speak for them.
>>
>> Ok, so why not ask them?
>
> I don't regularly correspond with either, and I'm not tempted to speak
> on their behalf. I was suggesting that others not attempt this either.

>> understandably upset.

>> > Did you read what you said? "Two former admins are strongly supporting
>> > it". There are over 1,000 admins on Wikipedia, and you've come up with
>> > two former admins, who aren't even supporting BADSITES, but rather
>> > something you've labelled as BADSITES.
>>
>> Gah. Both supported BADSITES. Read above and look at their talk page
>> comments.
>> When BADSITES failed Mongo supported something which was functionally
>> identical
>> to BADSITES.
>
>> From your anti-BADSITES perspective.
>
>> And considering of 1000 admins what fraction are active on most
>> policy pages (50 at most?) 2 isn't a non-trivial amount.
>
> 2 *non*-admins. Out of many thousands of editors.
>
>> Keep in mind that I'm
>> not arguing that there was a majority for it, merely that there were
>> people who
>> were established editors who didn't see it as a strawman.
>
> Yes, it fooled a number of people. It seems to me it fooled far more
> people on the anti-BADSITES side than on the pro; the former have
> certainly gotten vastly more mileage out of it.

Ok, this is my last comment about something: it is very hard to call
something a
strawman when it supported by long-term editors. Indeed if anything
that should
be a cause for concern that something that some people think (and maybe even
was) intended as a strawman got support. At least it wasn't titled "A moder
proposal about links"

>> > Because no-one is going to accusing David of being a Communist, err,
>> > BADSITES supporter.
>>
>> Um, what? Is this some sort of claim that BADSITES proponents are being
>> Mcarthied? Forgive me if I don't see much evidence for that claim.
>
> I don't think you would be particularly sensitive to it, given your
> own feelings on the matter.

This amounts to an ad hominem attack. If there is evidence that this has
occurred then show it. Otherwise...

>> not it is a
>> is true.
>> >
>> > It's a bad idea to have sockpuppets of banned editors writing our
>> > policies; that should be common sense, I would think.
>>
>> Yes, but if a user is banned happens to propose a kerner of a good idea
>> there's
>> no need to reject it based on the who it came from.
>
> But it wasn't proposing a kernel of a good idea, it was dozens of
> edits to create a policy.
>
>> (And point of fact PM is
>> not a sockpuppet of a banned user so...)
>
> User:BenB4 was, and he created the page, and was by far the single
> largest contributor to the page, so...
>
> As for PM, that's only a technicality; he was a sockpuppet, and only
> unbanned so he could participate in an ArbCom case about his banning.

Again, if it is a good idea so what?