[WikiEN-l] Time to reboot wikien-l

joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu
Wed Nov 21 19:36:11 UTC 2007

Quoting jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com>:

> On Nov 21, 2007 2:01 PM,  <joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu> wrote:
>> Quoting jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com>:

>> > Who is "pushing BADSITES"? Please name them, and show where they are
>> > doing so. I've only seen people using it as a strawman, but I might
>> > have missed a supporter somewhere.
>>
>> We've been over this. Tony, Mongo and Thuranx were all pushing for it.
>
> Yes, three whole editors. I don't believe any of them are admins.

Yes, three editors two of whom are prominent and are former admins with many
political ties (and let's not pretend that doesn't matter), and again
they were
only the most prominent. You can't claim that just because none of them are
admins that somehow makes it a strawman. (Incidentally, this seems to be
something I'm seeing more and more often on Wikipedia and it is disturbing.
People don't take policy proposals seriously from non-admins. This goes
against
the entire philosophy of what admins are supposed to be, janitors not
senators).

>> After
>> BADSITES failed Mongo and Thuranx then tried to get nearly identical
>> language
>> in NPA.
>
> So it was down to two non-admins then. Did they think the language was
> "nearly identical", or did they think it was along the lines of
> LINKLOVE?

You can read the talk pages. From the description their it seemed to me that
they thought it was identical to BADSITES. It entailed the banning of websites
that contain anything that could be construed as harassment (After 3 weeks of
arguing Mongo recently proposed something more toned down closer to LINKLOVE
but still stricter than LINKLOVE and still open to the possibility of altering
article space)