[WikiEN-l] Assume bad faith, for banned users.

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Nov 21 19:02:57 UTC 2007

Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 23:13:01, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>>> We voluntarily undertake not to run frivolous CheckUser checks, or
>>> to reveal personal data per our privacy policy, but there is nothing
>>> illegal about CheckUser.
>>>
>> That's just playing with the word "illegal".  Wikipedia's rules fall
>> within the realm of private law, so within that context abusive use
>> could be illegal.  Legality does not need to be limited to matters of
>> compliance with government laws.
>>
> Begging the question, of course.  "Abusive?"  Where?  What on earth
> is wrong with a private project using log data to track down
> determined abusers?  Or indeed to exonerate problematic but separate
> individuals?
This touchiness makes your response sound like an admission of guilt.

If you had read my response correctly you would have known that I wasn't
saying anything about specific abuse.  It was about the use of the word
"illegal", and how "abusive use" of any law, public or private, is
"illegal".  Whether or not anyone has in fact been abusive was not a
part of of that comment.

Ec