[WikiEN-l] Meta-discussion: Groupthink

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Wed Nov 21 16:42:56 UTC 2007

I find it interesting, and a little distressing, that there seems to be a
"groupthink" phenomenon on this list (and also sometimes on Wikipedia
itself).  I saw it just now in the discussion of an expulsion from this list.
When it was first brought up for comment, there was a "me-too" chorus of
agreement with the ban.  Then, a day later, I posted my dissenting
commentary (which I actually wrote yesterday, but failed to successfully post
due to a misconfigured mail program... getting outbound mail sent while on
vacation and using various different access providers is a pain with all the
security moves and port blocking tossing up hoops to be navigated), and
suddenly there were several other dissenting views following in close
succession.

One can make all sorts of hypotheses to try to explain such things; perhaps
people are timid about expressing their opinion unless somebody else has
already broken the ice in their direction; perhaps people of firm convictions
prefer to be quiet about them unless they're sure they have other supporters
around so they won't be left to twist in the wind alone; perhaps people
without convictions of their own are eager to find bandwagons to jump on so
they'll take up a view that just happens to agree with whoever else posted
last.  Whichever it may be (or a combination of these and other factors), it
doesn't seem like the healthiest thing for honest discussion of views (even if
sometimes the outcome might wind up agreeing with my own view).

I know that an atmosphere (which several prominent people seem to be
promoting) where people are in fear of being blocked or banned for their
expression of views is one highly conducive to such groupthink, where
people will either adopt (or pretend to adopt) whatever they see as the
dominant view, or else shut up and decline to state a view at all.
Dan