[WikiEN-l] Assume bad faith, for banned users.

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Tue Nov 20 22:07:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 03:28:10 +1100, Skyring <skyring at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> We voluntarily undertake not to run frivolous CheckUser checks, or
>> to reveal personal data per our privacy policy, but there is nothing
>> illegal about CheckUser.

>Some admins have the uncanny ability to smell out and ban a sock without
>benefit of CheckUser. In some cases, CheckUser would be a hindrance to this
>ability.

>My point is that such zealous and overzealous behaviour harms the project by
>removing a source of good edits, and by creating needless disruption. Are we
>writing an encyclopaedia, or are we playing ego games?

Seems we're looking at a different project, and maybe a different
definition of ego games.  See, for example, this article history:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sign_relation&action=history

See how many different individuals you think are at work here.

* Yolanda Zilwaukee
* DoubleBlue
* Closedmouth
* Buchanan's Navy Sec
* Doubtentry
* VOCØ
* Wolf of the Steppes
* Fallopius Manque
* Bare In Mind
* Education Is The Basis Of Law And Order
* Preveiling Opinion Of Dominant Opinion Group
* REBBUØ
* RABBUØ
* DEBBUØ
* REBBU

This article, by the way, is not the worst hit.

If you really want me to waste a CheckUser's time then I guess I
don't mind asking, but really it's not that hard.  The talk page of
Yolanda Zilwaukee might as well have been signed with the author's
real name, as anyone with more than a passing acquaintance with this
particular banned user will attest.

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk