[WikiEN-l] Assume bad faith, for banned users.

u/n - adrianm adrianm at octa4.net.au
Tue Nov 20 06:11:50 UTC 2007

The problem with what David Gerard wrote is that it isn't
true, most importantly because I didn't get banned from
Citizendium.  If you followed the links that David Gerard
provided, you would find that they prove that I was NOT
banned from Citizendium.  Instead, the reality is that I
quit Citizendium in protest at them inserting factual
inaccuracies from Wikipedia in to an article that I had
created, in spite of previously promising that they
wouldn't do this.  I wasn't "kicked off", and suggesting
so is quite simply false.  I quit.  They did interpret my
quitting as suggesting that I was asking to be banned, and
enforced that, although they have said that I could be
unbanned if I wanted to.  And it most certainly was NOT
for the same reasons as what happened on Wikipedia.  It
was over the same article, yes, but most certainly not for
the same reason.

For anyone who isn't aware of the case, I edited Wikipedia
and within a week of my first edit, I was put on a Request
for Arbitration, with absolutely no explanation as to what
that was, and with no opportunity to defend myself (in
theory I could, but I had no idea what to do, so in
reality I could not).  It was a classic case of Newbie
Biting.  The reality of the situation is that at that
stage Wikipedia was maintaining a factually inaccurate
article on the Port Arthur massacre, a topic which I am
very much an expert on, and I had attempted to add factual
accuracies to the article.  Indeed, to this day I have
contributed more to that article than anyone else - and I
have been banned for 2 years!  Nobody else who has more
expertise on that topic has ever edited Wikipedia!
 Indeed, whilst banned a number of administrators have
sought my advice for improvements to the article.

If you want to see my version of the article, it is
currently located on Wikinfo, and is the version that I
submitted to Citizendium:

http://www.internet-encyclopedia.org/index.php/Port_Arthur_massacre

Some things that you might notice is that I have stated,
and proven, that the massacre lasted for 3 days, not 1.
 Wikipedia's article falsely claims right at the front
that it was a single day mass murder, something that is
factually false, and is easily proven to be false.  If
Wikipedia can't even get that right, then how can they be
trusted with regards to that article?  There are over a
dozen different factual inaccuracies with that article,
which sadly some people refuse to change to be accurate.
 Times, court proceedings, witnesses, police findings,
photographic evidence, other kinds of evidence - all
presented falsely on Wikipedia.  And the sad part is that
in the April 2006 10 year anniversary a number of
prominent Australian news reports used that false
Wikipedia article as a source.  That Wikipedia article has
subsequently used a number of these reports as sources for
their own inaccurate comments.  So it becomes a circular
example, where Wikipedia has, in that example, presented
false things as fact, and they have subsequently become
accepted as fact.  This is history-changing, and is very
dangerous.

Also, with regards to something else (I won't go in to the
whole rest of the absurd arguments raised by various
people on this thread), I am the owner of Wikipedia
Review, hence I am not really banned, and can't really be
banned from the place.  They simply changed my passwords,
as a power play.  It is a little cumbersome to get them
back, and at this stage I am letting it slide.  And the
reason why should be well known to people on this list - I
reported to a number of people that Wikipedia Review
member Kato was creating a drama on Wikipedia in relation
to Private Musings and Robert Black, by presenting false
information.  Some people on Wikipedia Review felt that I
was betraying secrets and betraying their members, so they
changed my passwords.  It is a really simple thing.

My point in mentioning everything was pretty clear for
anyone who can think clearly.  YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO CITE
A SOURCE.  How many people read through things that David
Gerard wrote and took them at face value?  How many people
even bothered to click on the links to check things out?
 How many people just assumed that I was really banned
from Citizendium?  How many people just assumed that I am
really banned from Wikipedia Review?  How many people
refused to read anything else on the basis that I had
stated that at various times I was banned from a number of
other sites?

The point I was trying to make is that people quite often
don't check their facts, and they make assumptions.  You
all proved my point very well, by having very few people
reading this list bothering to check their facts.

If you do that on an encyclopaedia, how accurate is it
going to be?  There exist right now a number of articles
which have quality references, but whose content does not
match what the references say.  Again, using the Port
Arthur massacre article as an example, there was a time a
year or so ago where one of the references said that
Martin Bryant was diagnosed as not being fit to stand
trial, yet in quoting the reference the Wikipedia article
said that the reference said that he was diagnosed as
being fit to stand trial = the exact opposite of what the
reference actually said.

We need to be vigilant in checking facts, and not jumping
to conclusions.

And remember that if someone is banned, the only thing
that you can say for sure is that someone banned them.
 Unless you are prepared to look at the actual case, you
can't make an assumption that they were legitimately
banned, or anything else.  I am sure that most bans are
legitimate, because most bans are merely banning sock
puppets or serial spammers and the like.  But for any bans
which have had some discussion about them, you can't
honestly say that it is clear cut.

And why should someone be forced to apologise for things
that they didn't actually do?

Adrian