[WikiEN-l] Reflections on the end of the spoiler wars

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 23:22:23 UTC 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 2:21 PM, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net>
wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:09:49 +0000, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >"It may lack a real-world perspective and critical commentary, and
> >focus primarily on details about the plot, characters, and ending of
> >the work of fiction"
>
> {{sofxit}}
>
> Why do we demand unanimity in favour of removal, when there is
> clearly a complete lack of unanimity for inclusion? The onus is on
> the person seeking to include disputed content to achieve consensus
> for its inclusion.  Where is the consensus for use of the
> vaguely-defined term "spoiler"?
>
> Guy (JzG)

There is a wide mailing-list, Usenet, web board, and so forth consensus to
use spoiler tags.

It's considered a normal part of internet culture.

That is not to say that Wikipedia must slavishly follow aspects of internet
culture which may be orthogonal or opposed to the core Wikipedia project
goals...

But that's where it's coming from.  And the case that the tags are in fact
orthogonal or opposed to the core project goals is poorly argued.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com