[WikiEN-l] Time to reboot wikien-l

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 13:58:38 UTC 2007

On Nov 15, 2007 10:44 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://original-research.blogspot.com/2007/11/wikien-l.html
>
> Others have been saying this and I'm increasingly convinced. Time to
> write some harsher content rules, then start over with no-one joined
> until they expressly join.
>
> Thoughts?
>

> - d.

As a veteran of Usenet, you will be well aqcuainted with the name of
James D. Nicoll, and all facets of his reputation.

The way to improve the S/N ratio of this newsgroup is for people who
begin threads, to think long and hard about how their threads can be
hijacked by trolls, and never start threads that are vulnerabel to such.

Make a pledge (within your own mind) to only start threads that are
substantial, constructive, and not vulnerable to hijacking by trolls.

In short, drown out the chaff by adding wheat.

I will add that the "Nicoll Pledge" only worked, becuase he was willing
to think of significant issues to discuss on the Usenet newsgroup. I
don't think there is a lack of genuine topics of interest on the English
wikipedia whic ahre totally invulnerable to troll hijacking.