[WikiEN-l] Assume bad faith, for banned users.

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Fri Nov 16 18:13:34 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> On 16/11/2007, u/n - adrianm <adrianm at octa4.net.au> wrote:
>
>> I've been banned from (in order):
>> Lintilla, Planes of Existence, Aardwolf, Live Journal,
>> uJournal, Wikipedia, Citizendium, Wikipedia Review
>>

> What's the common denominator? You. If you've been independently
> banned from that many sites (and I've pretty sure they were
> independent - I really can't see Wikipedia and Wikipedia Review
> joining forces to attack you...), it's almost certainly your fault.
> You can't blame anyone else.

I'd suggest that assigning blame is a major part of the problem.

Regardless of where any fault lies, the only person who can
substantially affect Adrian's experience across many communities is Adrian.

We are all imperfect, and almost any situation has plenty of blame to go
around. Trying to heap it all on one participant might be satisfying,
but it rarely advances things. Many people have argued that the world
would be a better place if only human nature were different, and they're
probably right. But it isn't, so that argument is wasted breath.

Adrian, I'd encourage you to focus on changing yourself and your
actions, as that's the only thing that's really in your power. Even if
your bad situation is entirely the fault of other people, and even if
they accept that, your situation will not improve much: people will go
on being people. So give up worrying about past errors, start wherever
you are, and push forward, ever forward.

William