[WikiEN-l] Time to reboot wikien-l

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Fri Nov 16 17:34:18 UTC 2007

Bryan Derksen wrote:
> [...] IMO a
> "thoughtful and insightful posts only" rule for wikien-forum would
> either strangle discussion or be permissive enough that the list would
> be a near duplicate of wikien-open. A middle ground would be extremely
> hard to find in practice.

Here's my proposal for making that work.

We find a collection of people who are willing to moderate wikien-forum.
Say, a half-dozen to a dozen.

People write in proposing new threads. If any moderator thinks the topic
is interesting or important, they can volunteer to curate the thread.
They may not participate in a thread they curate, and should curate in
an NPOV way.

The thread's curator sends out the initial post. Any further comment on
the topic is evaluated by the curator on quality, novelty, and tone,
with a bias toward rejection. Posts that can stand on their own are
heavily favored over point-by-point replies, especially argumentative
ones. Replies that are thematically related are edited together into one
message.

People who want to have back-and-forth discussions are encouraged to do
that directly, and are asked to report back at the conclusion of the
discussion. Similarly, sufficiently interesting threads on wikien-open
may be summarized at their conclusion on wikien-forum.

The lists moderators are encouraged to give one another feedback on
thread curation, with a focus on maximizing reader benefit. Readers are
also encouraged to let the moderators know how they are doing. All of
that takes place off-list.

The notion is to extract the interesting content from the argument.
Right now the burden for that is on the thousands of readers, rather
than the dozens of posters or the handful of moderators. This approach
wouldn't work with a lot of communities, but since we already have
plenty of people skilled in NPOV summarization, I think we could pull it
off.

William

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>