[WikiEN-l] Assume bad faith, for banned users.

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Fri Nov 16 16:44:08 UTC 2007

> Earlier: "... Here's an example:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dorftrottel/disclosure
> Whether the guy will make a success of
> it or not I can't guess, but you have to
> award him points for self-awareness
> and honesty..."

Peter Blaise responds: I especially like the writer's use of
"...occasional total...", as in "...my occasional total lack of civility
and patience..."

Compare that the content of their user page: "... While there is an
abundance of thoroughly referenced articles, there are surprisingly many
articles (and not nearly all of them are stubs) completely lacking in
reliable sources. You may call me pedantic, but I'm one of those
conservative guys who does not regard some online interview or biased
fan page as a reliable source (As a matter of fact I do, but saying that
aloud would irrevocably ruin my chances of ever becoming an admin, which
is the only thing I'm here for, after all...."

We're all enigmas after a fashion.  I wonder what my own
physiotherapist's notes look like.

My point is that we are not here to scrutinize each other; we're here to
build an community that builds an encyclopedia.

My hope is that anyone visiting a Wikipedia page and seeing an
unreferenced contribution would do one of three things:

- nothing,

- note on the page that a reference is needed,

- find a reference and add it to the page.

That's it.