[WikiEN-l] Reflections on the end of the spoiler wars

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Fri Nov 16 15:53:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007, David Gerard wrote:
> The advocates of spoilers were sure the action of removal of spoilers
> was a violation of *something*, but shopped it to every venue they
> could, including an MFD, a policy RFC, arbitration twice, mediation -
> during which Ken seriously proposed putting back all 45,000 spoilers,
> presumably including the ones on [[The Three Little Pigs]], [[Hamlet]]
> and [[Anagram]] - and even the AutoWikiBrowser permissions talk page
> ... and failed to interest anyone in their cause. I suggest this is
> because they didn't and don't have a case.

No, the problem is that people who wanted to remove spoiler warnings liked
to quote extreme cases like the Three Little Pigs.  These cases are only a
small minority of all warnings that were removed.  I would have no problem
with restoring, say, 44000 spoiler warnings while not restoring ones on the
Three Little Pigs and the equivalent, but of course if you're going to do
that you'd restore them all anyway and then take out the few that really should
stay removed.