[WikiEN-l] Reflections on the end of the spoiler wars

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 02:32:30 UTC 2007

On Nov 15, 2007 5:53 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16/11/2007, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 16/11/2007, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > We have no policy that says that we can't have spoiler warnings.  We
> have a
> > > "last edit standing" consensus.
> > > Those are by definition unstable and unenforcable.
> >

> > Indeed. If people really wanted spoiler warnings, they'd be back.
>
> No. People may want them but they don't want that level of conflict.
> Victory through fear. Yes it's effective in the short term.

I am not restrained from action due to any fear to myself of what might
happen.

I have to date classified this (I believe) wrong action as insignificant
enough that I am not willing to put time and effort into overturning it.  I
have no doubt that I could change that and act effectively and reasonably
without my being banned, yelled at overly badly, brought up for Arbitration,
etc, though it's likely someone somewhere would call me silly names on ANI.

I've made a value judgement that spoiler warnings being in Wikipedia is, to
me, less valuable than the other things I am continuing to put effort in
to.  So far, to date.

I have also made a value judgement that avoiding the appearance of a false
consensus on this issue IS important to me, so I'm speaking my mind here.

I hope that the implication that people are in fear over this issue is
wrong.  If it is in fact true and well founded, with threats that can be
pointed to in diffs, then I think we legitimately have a problem here.

I have not yet seen any evidence of that and assume good faith in the
absence of evidence to the contrary.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com