[WikiEN-l] Assume bad faith, for banned users.

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 22:07:07 UTC 2007

> Even when dealing with people acting in an obviously dangerous or
> harmful way, I think it is worth treating them as if they were good
> people temporarily doing something wrong, either because of good
> intentions gone wrong or temporary insanity.
>
> There are a lot of reasons for treating bad actors that way. One big one
> is that most people are very reactive. If you treat them in a way that
> they perceive as friendly, sympathetic, and respectful, they are much
> more likely to respond in kind. Another reason is that a lot of people
> like fighting: if you don't fight with them, they'll eventually go find
> somebody else to scrap with.

That's why we only use bans as a last resort. If it has reached the
point of someone being banned then it means treating them in such a
manner has failed and we've had to resort to stronger methods.
Assuming good faith for people that have had a little trouble in the
past (a handful of short blocks, perhaps) is a good thing, but if
they've been indefinitely banned, then they've already had every
second chance they deserve.