[WikiEN-l] Assume bad faith, for banned users.

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Thu Nov 15 20:46:28 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> Banned users have been banned for a reason. That reason makes the
> assumption of bad faith valid. The policy of "Assume Good Faith" says:
>
> "Unless there is strong evidence to the contrary, assume that people
> who work on the project are trying to help it, not hurt it."
>
> The fact that they've been indefinitely banned *is* strong evidence to
> the contrary.

I think it depends on how you mean that.

Even when dealing with people acting in an obviously dangerous or
harmful way, I think it is worth treating them as if they were good
people temporarily doing something wrong, either because of good
intentions gone wrong or temporary insanity.

There are a lot of reasons for treating bad actors that way. One big one
is that most people are very reactive. If you treat them in a way that
they perceive as friendly, sympathetic, and respectful, they are much
more likely to respond in kind. Another reason is that a lot of people
like fighting: if you don't fight with them, they'll eventually go find
somebody else to scrap with.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't deal firmly and strongly with people
behaving badly. But you can still do that with love and respect, the
same way you can firmly handle a toddler having a screaming fit.

So if you're saying we should assume that banned people will probably
continue to misbehave, I'm all for that. Leopards rarely change their
spots, and the same goes for WP:TIGERS. But a number of our banned
contributors aren't banned because they actually mean ill. Some mean
well, but define "well" differently. Some have trouble doing good when
they mean well. And some are just troubled. None of that is bad faith.

William

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:William_Pietri