[WikiEN-l] Pakistani politicians and systemic bias

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 15 10:03:08 UTC 2007

Delirium wrote

> I'd propose that people should be *very* careful about speedy-tagging
> people and things from countries they're not from, especially
> non-English-speaking countries, unless they're either obvious crap (i.e.
> an autobiography by a high school student) or the person has first done
> some research to establish that the thing is not notable even in that
> country---keeping in mind that the fact that a German person is not
> well-known _in the US_ is not a valid reason for speedy deletion.

Right. Even Anglospheric stuff is sent to be speedied (women's refuges in New Zealand, domestic violence charities  in Australia, health organisations in Ontario) under vague pretexts such as promotion. There are a few Twinkle users who are particularly thoughtless. Having spent some hours now watching CAT:CSD, the word "triage" (not mine) seems to fit quite well. I got into this discussion for haing been vocal about the matter, but it does appear to be a real, live issue with direct impact on the encyclopedia.

Another Pakistani last night, this time a religious scholar. Speedy tag mostly because it was all upper case, claiming "patent nonsense". (Patent illiteracy.) As soon as I took that down, a PROD went up claiming nothing there to salvage.

Charles