[WikiEN-l] Reflections on the end of the spoiler wars

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Nov 15 01:37:07 UTC 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 8:14 PM, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> I, for one, disagree that spoiler tags are a dumb thing.  And I have admin
> bit, and I could crank up a good argument over it here and elsewhere.  I
> decided it wasn't important enough to fight over, even though I believe the
> arguments behind removing them are somewhere between specious and bogus.

Well, if everyone felt that way, I'd call that a consensus.  You don't
have to agree to consent, you just have to decide that it isn't
important enough to fight over.

But apparently there are a number of users who disagree with the
majority and think it *is* important enough to fight over.

> If you intend to assert that nobody with influence and power supports the
> existence of spoiler tags, I disagree politely.

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that.  On the contrary,
actually.  While I personally hate spoiler tags (I even argued for
their removal approximately one year before Phil sent that email six
months ago), I understand that there are lots of reasonable people who
disagree with me.

I'd love it if someone would just come out and make a decision.  I'm
going to use the traffic light analogy again.  I don't care if Red
means Stop and Green means Go or if Red means Go and Green means Stop
- I just care that one is picked and used consistently.

(Maybe a better analogy would involve a reference to [[Lilliput and Blefuscu]].)