[WikiEN-l] Slashdot: Book plagarized Wikipedia

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 21:14:36 UTC 2007

On 14/11/2007, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2007 1:00 PM, Kwan Ting Chan <ktc at ktchan.info> wrote:
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/24/open_source_railroad/
>
> Which to my understanding says that if you distribute an open source
> project you have in effect agreed to the license, which is a form of
> contract, and if you breach the license it is not copyright
> infringement but breach of contract.
>
> This is definitely early days as far as getting legal precedent for
> open source licensing, but it's interesting.

Yeah, that's my understanding as well. By that logic, if I go into
Woolworths, pick up a Mars bar and walk out, it's not theft, it's
breach of contract and the most they can do is send the bailiffs
rounds to collect the 30p. If you can be bound by a contract without
ever agreeing to it, then clearly the reasoning is flawed.