[WikiEN-l] Concerning edit conflict lag

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 22:26:32 UTC 2007

> My question is this: Is it possible to cause edit conflicts to only load the
> single section edited opposed to the entire page? For instance if I edit a subsection of the
> Admin notice board page and I get an edit conflict, I don't want it to load the entire notice
> board page in edit mode, just the single section that I edited so that I can quickly fix it. Is
> this possible?

The main problem with such a system is that the edit that you are
conflicting with may have changed the structure of the page in such a
way that the section you are editing either no longer exists, or is in
a different place. I expect it would be possible to detect this and
only display the whole page for editing if it is absolutely required,
but it would not be easy. I do know it has been discussed before, and
no-one has come up with a simple solution.