[WikiEN-l] Featured editors?

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 19:57:55 UTC 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_arbitration/Agapetos_angel/Evidence#Evidence_that_220.245.180..2A_is_Jonathan_Sarfati
> This isn't an ideal example since it is linking an IP address to
> someone outside
> Wikipedia and I didn't know as much about this sort of thing way back in
> March
> of 2006 as I know now. And I'm certainly not as good as picking up subtle
> cues
> as Durova is. As is I hope apparent in this particular case, the editing
> patterns extended not just from POV but from a unique intersection of
> interests
> as well as some linguistic quirks.
> ******
> Actually that case isn't a good example of my Wikisleuthing.  I was a
fairly
> new editor in early 2006 and hadn't yet learned a lot of the things I know
> now.  On the other hand, it's the perfect example of how I set the goal of
> neutral encyclopedia ahead of my personal opinions about particular
issues.

> Agapetos angel was a young earth creationist and I was her sole supporter
at
> the arbitration case.  Rarely do I disclose my personal politics, but it
> happened to be relevant to mention there that my own views on the issue
were
> diametrically opposed to hers.  I had answered a content-based request for
> comment on an article where she was active and was so impressed by its
> editors' willingness to set aside ideology and approach the matter in
terms
> of site policies that I awarded them a collective barnstar.  Agapetos
angel
> had a share of that barnstar and I thought she was doing a good job
> of supplying balance to the page.
>
> -Durova
Er, the point was my evidence section there that in my view used similar
methods.
******
Oh yes, when I gave the case another look a year later it became apparent
that you were absolutely on the right track.  Should have gone much further;
topic banning was far too mild for that IP editor.

Anyone who's interested in learning about sleuthing is welcome to dig around
there and figure out what I mean.

-Durova